Why wouldn’t you consider a successful workout, yoga, pilates, crossfit, general fitness or any other wellness related goal could be a success without implementing the fundamentals? As a leading foam rolling and Stretch Therapy expert I have worked with hundreds of clients of all different fitness & wellness backgrounds. Some were athletes while others were just your average student, career focused individual or a hard working parent. Those that came to see me in my Atlas Stretch Therapy Class had 1 thing in common, they hardly stretched or foam rolled. To be honest many of them did not even know what area was truly tight, which in fact was causing all their musculoskeletal discomfort.
To their credit, before I became an expert in this important therapy I was also unaware my back injuries and other chronic muscle strains originated in unexpected places! As led my group and individually focused Stretch Therapy classes, I was able to identify the origin of the injury so that we could both come up with a plan of attack to release that tensed up area(s). At the end of my classes my clients reported a major decrease in their chronic pain. Some even suggested that in a 55 min. session of hardcore stretching and foam rolling was more effective than the year they spent searching for the relief they desperately needed. So yes, it is as simple as, “STRETCH BETTER & FOAM ROLL BETTER’ with a TWIST! My new slogan for all my classes is “Roll, Stretch, Twist.” What else will help you during your journey towards the ultimate healthy body? Here are my 10 suggestions:
- Get more sleep. Use Kava for relaxation.
- Drink at least a gallon of water or close to it every single day.
- Eat a sensible breakfast, heavy lunch and hearty dinner. Lunch should be the biggest meal of the day.
- Stop counting calories and make sure that you avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup.
- Eat tons of fruit during the day! Fruit will not raise your blood sugar like processed sugar.
- Stretch & foam roll throughout the day before you start your workout or start your work day.
- Meditate for at least 5-10 min. by sitting somewhere quiet, listen to calming music, stream a chi quong video on YouTube for ultimate relaxation and breathing exercises.
- Bring your foam roller everywhere you go because you never know when your muscles will tighten up! I still bring my foam roller on the ambulance & roll out when I need the stress release.
- Take a great pre-workout prior to your exercise routine! I use hemp protein, creatine and bcaa’s. Of course I drink down a pre-workout supplement with caffeine. Caffeine is not unhealthy! High Fructose is however and so is not drinking enough water, lounging too often and stressing out. Caffeine is perfectly safe and so is creatine. They are ergogenic aids for an exercise or stretching regimen.
- Only focus on one goal at a time! It is difficult to understand that concept in America because we are constantly trying to consolidate everything. We are conditioned to do so much at one time that we forget to take our time. Rack up some successes in your life then move to the next big fitness goal. Trust me, I was the type to take on the world until I started telling myself, “RELAX MARK, BREATH & TAKE YOUR TIME!” To this day I still talk to myself internally to make sure I stay on the right track.
- Start disconnecting from your electronic devices as much as you are able to every single day, especially an hour before you are headed to sleep. Oops, I added in an extra tip.
If you do not have a foam roller check out my shop and use the coupon code “Freeship” for free shipping! My rollers are unlike any on the market. First, they are made in the USA, they are hand crafted out of Dallas, Tx and they have handles that give you more control of the foam rolling stretch therapy experience. If you have a foam roller then that is okay, check out my YouTube channel for foam rolling techniques that you have never seen before. Subscribe for daily to weekly uploads. Finally, just go for it! Start slow, take your time, breath, eat well, drink plenty of water, sleep more and finally have fun!